Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Day 5 & 6 in D.C.


{I thought this picture they had in the lobby was amazing}
The day was very chilly as snow was expected. Gregg took us to Arlington National Cemetery. It was beautiful to see all the white headstones in perfect formation but sad to see so many. We visited Kennedy's grave, where there is a constant fire burning and a guard standing by. We walked to to the tomb of the Unknown Solider and watched the changing of the guard. It was hard to fight back the tears as they moved with such precision and grace. Although, there was a crowd watching, no one was stirring as though time stopped. Faith was getting very cold but Gregg needed to visit some of his buddies he lost. There was a service going on nearby and there were several men dressed in their blues, which was very impressive. As Gregg knelt by his two buddies graves, I took Faith and gave him some time alone. After a brief time, I knew I needed to get him away, it is hard to see your man crying. We left the cemetery and went to Pentagon City which has a three story mall and warmed up at the one of the diners. We spent some time shopping and laughing at some of the Obama fluff-like flip flops with six of his heads on it. I think a little over the top.
{Every twenty-one seconds they take twenty-one steps, then they click their heels, do a ritual with the gun and start over again. They do this for an hour and then they change the guard.}
The next day, Gregg got us a tour in the Pentagon. I dressed nice, which meant heels and man, do I regret that. Gregg's friend took us to all rings A-E. That includes, all branches of the military. We even got to go two floors below the basement level to where the war phone calls come in. Not in the actual room, but close enough. It was neat to see the history of paintings from all decades. The displays with actual events and pieces preserved in the displays. They had guns, uniforms,disasters and wars that had taken place. This had more history then all the museums we visited. We spent 2 1/2 hrs and he said we could spend many more hours and still not take in everything. My feet were screaming...enough! I feel very honored that we had such an opportunity to see the innards of the mysterious Pentagon. As you know, I couldn't take any pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Griffin gets destroyed by jerky